GenieACS feature requests

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Sat Dec 20 09:36:05 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014, at 10:55 AM, Simon Lockhart wrote:
> One key aspect is the ability to pre-register devices.

There will be a way to define device configuration without having the
device already existing in the system (i.e. dynamic/scriptable presets).
Other than pushing provisioning configuration, there doesn't seem to be
a need for pre registering devices. Preventing unauthorized access will
be solved with authentication.

> CWMP authentication is another request, which I know you've said is
> already on the roadmap.

While this appears to be relatively easy to implement, the challenge is
where to fetch device authentication details from. The current
implementation of connection request authentication simply calls a
function in config/auth.js with the device ID and it's up to the user to
implement that function to either returns hard coded credentials or
fetch them from an external source. This approach is less than ideal and
will probably change, but I guess device authentication can be
implemented in a similar way temporarily.

> Being able to roll a software version out to a subset of devices would
> be nice.

This is currently possible. However, the "software version" preset
configuration is passive. By passive I mean it doesn't push the new
firmware as soon as the device connects. But it does when the device
asks for a firmware update using RequestDownload method (not all devices
support that). This is done on purpose because firmware upgrade is
usually a service disrupting feature. For now, you could patch the
system to make upgrade active (as opposed to passive).

If you'd like to contribute, you're more than welcome. Device
authentication seems be a good place to start if you need it urgently.

Zaid