Fwd: Best way to autoconfigure devices

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Wed Feb 10 16:18:57 EST 2016

On Mon, 2016-02-08 at 18:53 +0100, Sergio Fernández wrote:
> I've been thinking on this topic again, as we have coming a large
> batch of VDSL routers (In this case, TD-W9970 & TD-W9980).
> We would be talking about the GenieACS growing at a 1.000
> routers/year, more or less. So the "preset per CPE" option should be
> discarded (Or not? Please state this clearly because it can save me a
> ton of work).

Definitely not a good idea to have one preset per device. My approach
is to dynamically evaluate values in presets (e.g. "=username"
evaluates to the value of username custom command). This isn't ideal
though because it requires patching and you have to deal with certain
edge cases. The safest approach for now is to have an external script
doing the configuration through the API (Dan's notification
implementation will help there too).

Zaid