Next release

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Fri Jan 29 20:29:28 EST 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 11:54 +0000, Grímur Daníelsson wrote:
> Hi
>
> We decided last spring to wait for the next major release of genieacs
> since it was Coming Soon™ but it’s been a pretty long time now and
> it’s still coming soon and my supervisors are getting impatient.
>
> I realize this is something Zaid does in his spare time so release
> windows can be difficult to estimate but are there any news regarding
> when the next release will arrive?
>
> Regards, Grímur

I understand your frustration and I'm sorry for the poor communication
on my part. While I would much prefer to iteratively evolve the
software, I had no choice but to overhaul much of existing architecture
in one go for various reasons. The original plan of an intermediate
release (before architecture change) to include some of the most
requested features no longer seemed feasible. Not to mention my
original estimate was overly optimistic. Another reason for the delay
is that I have to prioritize work for commercial clients and that is
taking a lot of my time. And no, this isn't just a project I do in my
spare time :) I've been on this full time for quite a while now.

Having said that, the next release will maintain backward compatibility
of API and DB structure for the most part. So you can use the current
version and upgrade later with ease. I can't give a firm date just yet,
but I hope towards the end of February we'll have something alpha
quality. Then I can better estimate how long until it's production
ready (should be a matter of weeks, not months). Keep an eye on the
Announce mailing list for an update Soon (TM).

Zaid