User Management in genieacs-gui

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Fri Jan 29 20:43:49 EST 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-29 at 03:38 -0900, Dan Morphis wrote:
> I would love to see AD auth as an option, with genie roles mapped to
> AD roles. This is something that has been on my todo list for almost
> a year. It's important that AD auth be but one option with fallback
> to the existing auth mechanism to avoid breaking existing installs.
>
> -dan
>
> > On Jan 29, 2016, at 12:00 AM, Oliver Kraitschy <okraits at arcor.de>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hello Zaid,
> >
> > i want to enhance genieacs-gui with some features, the first one
> > will be
> > a frontend for management of users and roles. So i just wanted to
> > ask you
> > about your plans and preferences.
> >
> > One option will be authentication over Active Directory. Is there a
> > ruby
> > gem/interface you would prefer for that usecase?
> >
> > The other option will be genieacs-gui-specific authentication but
> > with
> > users and roles data stored in a database. Which database would you
> > prefer
> > for that? mongodb, redis, a relational database or something else?
> >
> > By the way, which features are next on your roadmap?
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Oliver

See attached patch for implementation of LDAP for authentication. This
just handles the authentication part so you'll still need to define the
roles in the roles file. You can define a "default" role which will
apply to all logged in users. You or anybody else are welcome to
enhance this by implementing Dan's suggestions and make a PR.

When it comes to choice of database, you don't need to worry about that
as Rails abstracts out the DB layer for you. But config files are
probably good enough for something like this anyway.

Regarding upcoming features, I will be sharing details about that in
the Announce mailing list in the coming weeks.

Zaid