Multi-user GenieACS-GUI

Sergio sergio.fernandez at electronicamartinez.com
Tue Jun 7 10:25:14 EDT 2016

Hello!

I am trying to change the current GenieACS to add the functionality of
multiuser login, so that every user only sees its CPEs.

I've been thinking about dockerizing a new instance for every customer,
because we think that less than 10 users will have to see its CPEs. But
mounting 10 GenieACS via Docker would be so resource-consuming... Isn't it?

That's why I've thinking of improving GenieACS-GUI in order to be able
to separate CPEs for every customer. But I don't know much about Ruby On
Rails (I am currently reading https://www.railstutorial.org ) neither I
am an expert on these software topics, and I need advice.
_
__First option:_
Would you make another record under collection "devices" of the
"genieacs" db in MongoDB? Like the following (In bold what is added by me):

{
     "_id" : "ZZZZZZ-XXXX-YYYYYYUUUUUU",
     "_registered" : ISODate("2016-06-01T10:28:10.051Z"),
     "_deviceId" : {
         "_Manufacturer" : "Cisco",
         "_OUI" : "ZZZZZZ",
         "_ProductClass" : "XXXX",
         "_SerialNumber" : "YYYYYYUUUUUU"
     },
     "_lastInform" : ISODate("2016-06-07T13:58:12.802Z"),
*"_customerId" : 1,*
}

What would be the advantages? And the disadvantages? Which CoffeeScript
file would you edit to make this work? Or would you do it via external
update from a tab in the Ruby On Rails webpage?

_Second option:_
Would you create a separate collection in MongoDB named "owner" whose
structure would be like:

{
     "00:12:34:43:12:00" : 1,
     "FF:FF:FF:22:13:65" : 2,
}

which would be updated every new CPE comes.

What would be the advantages? And the disadvantages? Which CoffeeScript
file would you edit to make this work? Or would you do it via external
update from a tab in the Ruby On Rails webpage?

_Third option:_
Would it be better to import a CSV with the MAC of the CPEs, so that
then, in the WebGui, you could select what is the owner of each CPE?

In all options, It would be desirable an additional tab in order for an
admin to manage the ownership of the CPEs. Is it right?

Thank you for your reading. I highly appreciate all of your help.