Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Wed Apr 8 13:20:34 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 07:35 PM, Dan Morphis wrote:
> I have a few questions about how other people are doing their CPE ACS
implementation.

> Are you using a single VCI/VPI and doing the management
over the public internet? Or do you have a separate VCI/VPI specifically
 for management? Do you have bridged mode modems connected to your ACS?

> If you are doing management over a separate interface, for the management url, are you using DNS or hard-coded IP? Are you doing split DNS?

I'd recommend using a separate WAN connection for management when
possible. As for using a domain name vs an IP, I prefer using IP because
then you deal with one less point of failure (i.e. DNS). Though I don't
have a strong opinion about that.

> How are you assigning the ACS url to the CPE? Factory config, or DHCP option 60[http://blog.pierky.com/acs-url-configuration-via-dhcp-vendor-specific-information/]?

I personally haven't used the DHCP option because I try to minimize the
number of client features I have to rely on for a smoother operation.
Perhaps my opinion will change when TR-069 is more wide spread and
client implementations improve.

Zaid