Object instance state out of sync between Genie and CPE

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Tue Feb 3 19:04:02 EST 2015

On Tue, Feb 3, 2015, at 11:21 PM, Manny Veloso wrote:
> Well actually, it depends. It sounds like GenieACS isn’t supposed to reconfigure the device into its previous state if the device is defaulted. That means that the SSID, passphrase, port forwards, ppp username/pw, basically any changes  off the default
 config are gone.

> Presets wouldn’t work for dynamic data.

Manny, you're right that presets don't work for dynamic data, but that's
a software limitation that can and (hopefully soon) will be improved.
There's a few ideas I'm considering such as completely scriptable
presets or dynamic values similar to formulas in Excel.

I understand your point that the ACS will not be able to restore
previous configuration if the device was reset. This is a valid point,
but it's not trivial to implement because you can never assume you'll be
getting the exact same data model (e.g. different object instance
indices or order). Additionally, restoring all parameters exactly as
they were defeats the purpose of factory reset. With dynamic presets, it
will be possible to restore certain explicitly defined parameters after
the device is defaulted.

Zaid