Real-Time Stats Retrieval

mark at montanasky.net mark at montanasky.net
Fri Apr 29 10:40:04 EDT 2016

Hello,

I am trying to find the best way to get up-to-date (near real-time if
possible) stats from a CPE.  What I'm currently doing is performing a
getParameterValues API call, but the response is always 202 (queued), so
of course the parameters are not updated until the device polls.  I've
tried increasing the timeout to 10000 (10 seconds), but the request
never takes 10 seconds to get a the 202 response, so I don't know that
increasing the timeout is even working.

My API URL looks like this: http://{my server ip}:7557/devices/{device
id}/tasks?timeout=10000&connection_request

Can anyone offer any advice on getting a real-time response from a CPE?

Or is there another way to get up-to-date stats?  Perhaps there is a way
to have each CPE update certain parameters each time they poll?  Does
anyone know what parameters are updated when a device polls?  Maybe I
can add a few to that list?

Or maybe by using a preset?  I don't know anything about presets, but
there is an existing one called "tracking" that seems to be updating a
few specific parameters every 30 minutes.

Would it be bad to lower the refresh time significantly?  Say to 300
seconds?  At least that way I'd know that these parameters will be no
more than 5 minutes old at any given time.

If anyone has any thoughts on these methods, or any other method of
achieving my goal, please share!

Thanks,

Mark