Real-Time Stats Retrieval

Oliver Kraitschy okraits at arcor.de
Fri Apr 29 18:21:26 EDT 2016

Hi Mark,

Am 29.04.2016 um 16:40 schrieb mark at montanasky.net:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find the best way to get up-to-date (near real-time if
> possible) stats from a CPE.  What I'm currently doing is performing a
> getParameterValues API call, but the response is always 202 (queued), so
> of course the parameters are not updated until the device polls.  I've
> tried increasing the timeout to 10000 (10 seconds), but the request
> never takes 10 seconds to get a the 202 response, so I don't know that
> increasing the timeout is even working.

What do you mean with "stats"? Have up-to-date values of all parameters
of that device in your ACS?

> My API URL looks like this: http://{my server ip}:7557/devices/{device
> id}/tasks?timeout=10000&connection_request
>
> Can anyone offer any advice on getting a real-time response from a CPE?

I think you should use notifications.

> Or is there another way to get up-to-date stats?  Perhaps there is a way
> to have each CPE update certain parameters each time they poll?  Does
> anyone know what parameters are updated when a device polls?  Maybe I
> can add a few to that list?

With the periodic inform, only ~ 10 parameters are sent to the ACS. I
don't know if you can append to that list.

> Or maybe by using a preset?  I don't know anything about presets, but
> there is an existing one called "tracking" that seems to be updating a
> few specific parameters every 30 minutes.

With presets, you can refresh the whole tree (InternetGatewayDevice.)
periodically.

> Would it be bad to lower the refresh time significantly?  Say to 300
> seconds?  At least that way I'd know that these parameters will be no
> more than 5 minutes old at any given time.

What do you mean with "refresh time"? The inform interval?

Greetings,
Oliver