Real-Time Stats Retrieval

mark at montanasky.net mark at montanasky.net
Mon May 2 12:29:41 EDT 2016

Hello Oliver, and thank you for the reply.

>> I am trying to find the best way to get up-to-date (near real-time if
>> possible) stats from a CPE.  What I'm currently doing is performing a
>> getParameterValues API call, but the response is always 202 (queued),
>> so
>> of course the parameters are not updated until the device polls.  I've
>> tried increasing the timeout to 10000 (10 seconds), but the request
>> never takes 10 seconds to get a the 202 response, so I don't know that
>> increasing the timeout is even working.

> What do you mean with "stats"? Have up-to-date values of all parameters
> of that device in your ACS?

I mean whatever parameters I specify.  In my case it would be
Signal-to-Noise Ratio and Attenuation, but the specifics don't really
matter.

>> My API URL looks like this: http://{my server ip}:7557/devices/{device
>> id}/tasks?timeout=10000&connection_request

>> Can anyone offer any advice on getting a real-time response from a
>> CPE?

> I think you should use notifications.

Can you please point me to the documentation for notifications?  I am
unable to find any.

>> Or is there another way to get up-to-date stats?  Perhaps there is a
>> way
>> to have each CPE update certain parameters each time they poll?  Does
>> anyone know what parameters are updated when a device polls?  Maybe I
>> can add a few to that list?

> With the periodic inform, only ~ 10 parameters are sent to the ACS. I
> don't know if you can append to that list.

Perhaps someone else can speak to this?

>> Or maybe by using a preset?  I don't know anything about presets, but
>> there is an existing one called "tracking" that seems to be updating a
>> few specific parameters every 30 minutes.

> With presets, you can refresh the whole tree (InternetGatewayDevice.)
> periodically.

>> Would it be bad to lower the refresh time significantly?  Say to 300
>> seconds?  At least that way I'd know that these parameters will be no
>> more than 5 minutes old at any given time.

> What do you mean with "refresh time"? The inform interval?

I don't know how to get a screenshot to you, but the Configurations for
the Preset named "tracking"
says, "Refresh {parameter name} every {xxxx} seconds"  I didn't set this
up; I assumed it was a
default preset setup when the server was installed.

What I want to know is:  if lower the Refresh Time from 1800 to
something much lower, like 300, will cause the server to bog down in
some way?

At the end of the day, what I really need to know is simply the BEST way
to get specific parameters to stay up-to-date, or to only be a few
minutes old at worst.

Thanks,

Mark