Thoughts on grouping of presets

Zaid Abdulla zaid at genieacs.com
Wed Mar 29 17:46:30 EDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-03-27 at 15:59 -0800, Dan Morphis wrote:
> Currently, we have 1,511 presets :) With about 1,500 of them being
> device specific presets.

Hehe. I'm surprised it even works fine with that many presets! Why not
use a single provision that fetches custom user config from an external
database and configure the device accordingly?

With regards to your original suggestion, how about instead of tags
implement a list of key-value pairs (call that meta)? It will need to
be implemented not just for presets but also other objects like
provisions and even devices. This will raise the question of whether to
allow reading this info from scripts or not. It's certainly nice to
have this feature if you have the time for it, but for what you're
trying to do it's easier to patch your own repo to solve your
particular problem. Though I'd consider using a single provision script
like I suggested above.

--
Zaid Abdulla <zaid at genieacs.com>