API based signal tests...

Dan Morphis dan at milkcarton.com
Tue Apr 24 14:21:18 EDT 2018

The solution is multipart. First, you will need to create a preset that
when the event '8 DIAGNOSTICS COMPLETE' is received, executes a provision.

The provision will have this:
declare("InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.*.WANDSLDiagnostics.*", {value:
Date.now()});

The final step is graphing the data. Review the description for each
parameter in the TR-157 docs
<https://cwmp-data-models.broadband-forum.org/tr-157-1-1-0-igd.html#D.InternetGatewayDevice:1.InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.%7Bi%7D.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.TestParams>
.

The values you want to graph are HLOGpsus, HLOGpsds, QLNpsus, QLNpsds,
SNRpsus, SNRpsds, and if your CPE supports them BITSpsds and GAINSpsds.

HLOG is the logarithmic channel characteristics per sub-carrier group
QLN is quiet line noise per subcarrier group
SNR is signal to noise ratio per subcarrier group
BITS is the number of bits per subcarrier group
GAIN is the gain per subcarrier group

All values except BITS are in dB.

Formulas are as follows for each value in the given group to turn it into
something graphable:

HLOG
                        if (up != 1023) {
                            return 6 - (up / 10);
                        }
                        return 6 - (down / 10);

QLN
                        if (up != 255) {
                            return -23 - (up / 2);
                        }
                        return -23 - (down / 2);

SNR:
                        if (up != 255) {
                            return -32 + (up / 2);
                        }
                        if (down != 255) {
                            return -32 + (down / 2)
                        }
                        return 0;

If you want useful x-axis tick marks, use this formula:

Math.ceil(index * 4.3125);

4.3125 is the width in kilohertz of the subcarrier group.

Here is a graph of what the results should look similar to.

This diagnostic test indicates a bridge tap - the drop around 612 kHz of
the HLOG, and then subsequent rise only to roll off around 1,700 kHz
https://i.imgur.com/29zoQFO.png

https://i.imgur.com/MLij1uk.png

Some CPEs will also store "Showtime Test" results. On the ones I've tested,
you need to refresh those values soon after connect otherwise they get
wiped from memory.
InternetGatewayDevice.WANDevice.{i}.WANDSLInterfaceConfig.TestParams is the
key. And you can re-use the graph for SNR/QLN/HLog. The showtime test is
not comprehensive. https://imgur.com/dH59Msj

I couldn't readily find an example of it, but if you see sharp spikes on
the QLN, those are indicative of a bad ground at the NID. This is why I
graph my results in terms of kHz. Because the QLN spike will correspond to
an AM radio station (in North America at least).