Random PeriodicInformInterval doesn't work as expected

Dan Morphis dan at milkcarton.com
Thu Mar 28 14:28:34 EDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 9:49 AM George Chelidze <george.chelidze at magticom.ge>
wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> On 3/28/19 9:24 PM, Dan Morphis wrote:
>
> why do you want an interval so low
>
> Just for testing, I plan to put 1 hour +/- 20% in production.
>
> why do you want a random interval? Load?
>
> Yes

How many devices are you expecting? I think you'll find load is less of an
issue than you think it will be. The CPE will (well, should) automatically
retry if its unable to communicate with the ACS.

> Ah, clear.  That means, it doesn't make any sense to bind this provision
> to a preset which executes on "2 PERIODIC". I would tag a device as soon as
> a "random" value is set for the first time and skip tagged devices later.
> Does it sounds reasonable? If yes, this kind of "random" number will work
> for me.

I wouldn't use tags for this. Do this in your bootstrap provision. Then it
only executed once.

> What if I need really random value in my provision? Any other way?

You would need to patch sandbox.js and expose a "reallyRandom" function,
making sure to restart the CWMP process after you make changes.

-dan