Random PeriodicInformInterval doesn't work as expected

George Chelidze george.chelidze at magticom.ge
Fri Mar 29 03:22:57 EDT 2019

Hi Dan,

On 3/28/19 10:28 PM, Dan Morphis wrote:

> How many devices are you expecting? I think you'll find load is less
> of an issue than you think it will be. The CPE will (well, should)
> automatically retry if its unable to communicate with the ACS.

About  50K devices with broken implementation of ACS Discovery. Instead
of sending DHCP Inform, they send DHCP Discovery which is a trigger for
session initialization on cisco services gateway. As a result a session
is terminated. That's why I try to spread the load in time to cut load
peaks.

>     Ah, clear.  That means, it doesn't make any sense to bind this
>     provision to a preset which executes on "2 PERIODIC". I would tag
>     a device as soon as a "random" value is set for the first time and
>     skip tagged devices later. Does it sounds reasonable? If yes, this
>     kind of "random" number will work for me.
>
> I wouldn't use tags for this. Do this in your bootstrap provision.
> Then it only executed once.

Makes sense.

>     What if I need really random value in my provision? Any other way?
>
> You would need to patch sandbox.js and expose a "reallyRandom"
> function, making sure to restart the CWMP process after you make changes.

Will try to find a solution which doesn't require any kind of patch to
keep installation upgradeable.

Thanks,

George Chelidze